NIGERIAN MINING AND GEOSCIENCES SOCIETY ANNUAL PRIZES AND AWARDS
- NMGS/TOTAL PRIZE (Not open to public nomination)
- The NMGS/Total prize is open to all the oral and poster papers presented at the technical sessions of each annual conference and is given to the best three presentations. The first prize attracts a one—week, all expenses paid, trip to mining and/or geo-scientific laboratories or sites in France plus a cash prize of N120,000.00. The second and third positions attract cash awards of N320,000.00 and N270,000.00, respectively.
- NMGS/AGIP ENERGY PRIZE (Nomination by Heads of Departments of Mining/Geosciences only ) The NMGS/Agip Energy Prize is open to all M.Sc candidates and awarded to the best Thesis or Dissertation in the area of Mineral Exploration annually. The prizes is worth Forty Thousand Naira (N40,000.00).
- NMGS/NIOMCO PRIZE(Nomination by Heads of Departments of Mining/Geosciences only) The NMGS/NIOMCO Prize is open to candidates having the best M.Sc. or HND dissertation in Mining or Economic Geology from tertiary institutions in the country. The prize is worth N20,000.00.
- NMGS/NGSA/OKEZIE PRIZE The NMGS/NGSA/Okezie Prize, endowed by the Nigeria Geological Survey Agency (NGSA), is in honour of the first Nigerian Director of the NGSA. The Prize instituted for a published or unpublished original work in the Earth Sciences, which is adjudged to be a landmark contribution to the development of the profession of mining and geosciences in Nigeria. The Prize is open to all Geoscientists/Mining Engineers. The prize is worth N100,000.00 and a plaque.
- NMGS/CHEVRON RESEARCH PRIZE The Chevron/NMGS Research Prize is aimed at encouraging scholarship and professional excellence in the geosciences. The award is for two of the “Best Published Doctorate/Post-Doctorate Research Work in the field of Petroleum Geosciences with significant impact on the oil and gas industry in Nigeria”. It would carry a cash reward of Fifty Thousand naira (N50,000.00) for each prize.
- NMGS/PROF DEBORAH ENILO AJAKAIYE PRIZE The NMGS/PROF DEBORAH ENILO AJAKAIYE Prize was endowed by Prof Deborah Enilo Ajakaiye, a foremost geophysicist and past president of the NMGS in 2009. The Prize is open to all undergraduate and postgraduate students and it is for oral and poster presenters at the technical sessions of each annual Conference. The prize is aimed at encouraging and mentoring undergraduate and postgraduate students of mining and geosciences, as emerging scholars, to have opportunity to present and showcase their research findings. The First Prize is worth Forty Thousand Naira (N40,000.00), the Second Prize, thirty thousand naira (N30,000.00) and the third Prize Twenty Thousand Naira (N20,000).
- NMGS/O. OGODAZI PRIZE The NMGS/O. OGODAZI Prize was endowed by the family of the late Engr O. Ogodazi, FNMGS. The Prize is for the best MSc Project in Petroleum Geology/Petroleum engineering.
- NMGS/DR MARIE STELLA SONUGA PRIZE The NMGS/DR Marie Stella Sonuga Prize was endowed under the auspices of the NMGS Grants- In-Aid by Marie Stella Sonuga, FNMGS, Former President of the Nigerian Mining and Geosciences Society in March 2009 for the best graduating female student in Geology at the Federal University of Technology, Owerri.
- NMGS/DR MUSLIM IDRIS PRIZE The NMGS/DR MUSLIM IDRIS Prize was endowed by Dr. Muslim Idris of GAP WATER RESOURCES CONSULTANTS (Nig.) Limited for the best paper presented on Hydrogeology and/or Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) during the Annual NMGS International Conferences and Exhibitions. It carries a cash reward of Fifty Thousand Naira (N50,000.00).
- The NMGS/PROFESSOR CHARLES OFOEGBU PRIZE FOR THE BEST GRADUATING STUDENT IN GEOPHYSICS The NMGS/PROFESSOR CHARLES OFOEGBU Prize was endowed by Prof Charles Ofoegbu for the best graduating M.Sc student in Geophysics from any Nigerian University as measured by the highest CGPA. It would carry a cash reward of One Hundred Thousand Naira (N100,000.00).
- NMGS/PROF.S.C TEME PRIZE The NMGS/PROF. S.C TEME PRIZE was endowed by the 27th President of the NMGS. The award is for Geoscientist of any nationality, for the best paper presented and full paper submitted in the field of Engineering Geology &Geotechnics during the Annual NMGS International Conference & Exhibitions. The Award is the sum of one hundred thousand naira (N100,000.00) and a gold medal.
- NMGS/Atuekong (Chief) Don Obot Etiebiet Foundation for Training and Research in Geosciences. The NMGS/Atuekong (Chief) Don Obot Etiebiet Foundation for Training and Research in Geosciences was endowed by Atuekong (Chief) Don Obot Etiebiet of Data Sciences Nigeria Limited in promotion of academic excellent at or above Master’s degree level. The award is to be won by any person, adjudged to have produced an outstanding publication of not more than three years to the prevailing date, in the area of petroleum Exploration, Exploitation and Development, and deserving of support for further work. It carries a cash reward of two hundred and fifty thousand naira (N250, 000.00) only.
- NIGERIAN MINING AND GEOSCIENCES SOCIETY PRESIDENT’S AWARD. This Award, sponsored by the Nigerian Agip oil Company (NAOC), is given by the President of NMGS in recognition of significant contributions to the development of the profession and advancement of the society (NMGS).
- NMGS/DUROTOYE/COMEG AWARD
.1. NMGS/DUROTOYE/COMEG AWARD was endowed by Council of Nigerian Mining and Geoscientists (COMEG) in honour of Late prof (Mrs) A.B. Durotoye, the first Acting Secretary of COMEG. The award is for a deserving Mining Engineer/Geoscientist of any nationality, who has made significant contributions in the field of earth sciences. The prize is a gold medal. The Awardee will be hosted by COMEG at the NMGS Conference in the year of the award.
- NMGS/Rt. HON. DR NNAMDI AZIKWE AWARD
- NMGS/DPR/CHIEF M.O. FEYIDE AWARD
- 3.The prize is in honour of the late Chief M.O. Feyide, FNMGS, the first Nigerian Secretary – General of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and founding father of the Department of Petroleum Resources. It is to be awarded to any Nigerian who has made excellent and consistent contribution in the general area of Petroleum Engineering/Geology. The prize includes a gold medal and a plaque.
- NMGS/PTDF/RILWAN LUKMAN AWARD
- 4.The NMGS/PTDF/RILWAN LUKMAN AWARD is sponsored by the Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) in honour of Alhaji Dr. Rilwan Lukman, a foremost Mining Engineer and Past Secretary – General and President of OPEC. The award is open to any Mining Engineer/Earth Scientist of any nationality who has made significant contributions to Mining and Geosciences Education and the Nigerian Mining and Geosciences Society (NMGS). The prize is a gold medal and a plaque.
- NMGS/AMNI PETROLEUM/PROF. M.O. OYAWOYE AWARD
- 5.The NMGS/AMI/Oyawoye Award is sponsored by AMNI International Petroleum Development Company Ltd. (AMNI) in honour of Prof M.O Oyawoye, FNMGS, the first African Professor of Geology and a renowned petrologist. The Award is open to any hard rock geologist of any nationality who has made significant contribution to hard rock geology of the African continent. The prize is a gold medal and a plaque.
- NMGS/MOSUNMOLU/DR. E.A. IFATUROTI AWARD
- 6.The NMGS/Mosunmolu/Dr. E.A. IFATUROTI Award is sponsored by Mosunmolu Ltd. The award is for any Mining Engineer/Earth Scientist of any nationality who has made consistent and excellent contribution in the general area of Mining and Mineral Resources Development in Africa. The prize is a gold medal and plaque.
- NMGS/VERSA-TECH/P.O. NWASIKE AWARD
- 7.The NMGS/VERSA-TECH/PO NWASIKE Award is sponsored by Versa-Tech Nigeria Limited and is open to any leading Mining Engineer or Geoscientist who is an active member of the NMGS and has contributed to promoting the career of young mining engineers and geoscientists and has also distinguished himself in the profession. The Award is a plaque and gold medal.
- NMGS/NAPIMS/PROF. R.A. REYMENT AWARD
- 8.The NMGS/NAPIMS/PROF RA REYMENT AWARD is named after Prof. R.A. Reyment, the first Head, Department of Geology, University of Ibadan, who studied virtually all the sedimentary basins of Nigeria and produced the first coherent synthesis of their biostratigraphy. The award is made for consistent excellent work in the general area of soft rock geology of Nigeria. The Award is a plaque and gold medal.
- NMGS/NGSA/J.D. Falconer Gold Medal Award for Economic Geology.
- 9.The NMGS/NGSA/J.D. Falconer Gold Medal Award, endowed by the Nigeria Geological Survey Agency (NGSA), is in honour of the first Director of the NGSA. Dr J.D. Falconer. The award is for consistent excellent contribution to Economic Geology and Mineral Exploration. The award is open to Miners, Mining Engineers, and Geoscientists of any nationality working on Mining and Geological problems in Africa. The prize is a gold medal.
- NMGS/GEOEXPLORATION/Akin GEORGE AWARD
- 10.The NMGS/GEOEXPLORATION/Akin GEORGE AWARD was endowed by Geoexploration (Nigeria) Limited in honour of its principal Mr. Akinola George, the 26th President of the NMGS. The award is for Geoscientist of any nationality, who has made significant contributions in the field of earth sciences through persistent and consistent practice of the profession in any of the disciplines of geosciences anywhere in the world. The Prize is a Plaque cast in polished rock/marble and a gold medal.
- NMGS/SHELL AWARD
- 11.The NMGS/Shell Award is the highest NMGS award. It is sponsored by the Shell Petroleum Development Company of Nigeria Limited (SPDC). The award is for earth scientists of any nationality who have made significant contributions to the field of earth sciences by persistent and consistent, excellent research in either or both of the pure and applied aspects for the earth sciences of the African continent. The Prize is a Plaque cast in polished rock.
The nomination Form A can be downloaded, completed and sent by e-mail to email@example.com the Chairman, NMGS Awards Committee.
The deadline for Nominations has been extended to Friday, 15 December, 2017.